Monday, October 28, 2013

Final Post From The Summer 2013 Road Trip

My car is covered in snow, it's safe to say that the summer is over.
In a very poetic turn of events: Monsieur Bianco was both the first person I saw when I left Boston AND the last person I saw before I started my new job 4 months and thousands of miles later.

Before the remaining "things I asked my hosts" questions- I want to express how grateful I am for everyone that helped make my summer adventure happen the way that it did. Thank you/gracias/merci beaucoup. This summer wouldn't have been the same without (If I leave anyone out I'm sorry) in chronological order:
My parents, Mediastruction, Chris B, Jana, Dan W, SJB-Fartky, Erica Schneider, Erin Sullivan, Ian Az, The Airborne Toxic Event, Lisa Lerner and her lovely roommates, Maya,
Tyler, My Uncle Moose, Daniel Sanderson and his posse in Arizona, two plus two, ASPRING (also Lauren Fitz, Alex and Joey), Jason and Katie McCoy, Alisha/Chrisa/Nick, Mike Cohen and Ashley soon-to-be-Cohen as well as their whole UVM squad, Jenny Simler (Thug-las-Doug-las, Nancy), My Uncle Art, Max, Matt and everyone who gave me encouraging phone calls at some point. I owe all of you and hope you'll come to Tahoe and let me tour guide/host/snowboard lesson for you.
EDIT: Super big thanks to Jenna and Janice!

Questions from road #3-4: biggest regrets and happiest moments.
Most people see regret as "now that I know how_____ went, I wish I had done something differently." That isn't regret, it's learning. Regret is born in a moment of "I know I should do X but it scares me so I'm going to do Y." Those are the decisions you have to have to what-if at some point later.

Answers included:
-Letting an opportunity slip away
-Not saving more money
-None (x2, x3,x4, x5 ("I learn from the bad" was enthusiastically spoken from the fifth person))
-Not listening to myself enough, not trusting my instincts
-Getting "carried away"
-Not embracing my full self earlier
-Not moving in with my sister
-Not staying in touch with old friends
-Not following an athletic dream (x2)
-Cheating on someone

From that it seems like if we do what feels right and take chances there won't be any new regrets. You'll have nothing but moments of full hearted happiness such as:

-In 2006 spending time with a girl I thought I'd marry
-Traveling (taking a big chance.) Family time
-Summer between junior/senior year of college (a girl was involved)
-Back in college town, not worrying about what comes next
-The feeling of independence I had on my flight to Hungary
-It keeps getting better: my happiest moment is in the future (x2)
-Helping people
-Physical bliss
-Getting lost in music (x2)
-Fam vacations, road tripping
-Traveling. Moments that validate my past choices
-An after party. Everyone had left except my best friends and we stayed up talking for hours
-A specific round of mini golf

So that's it for being on the road. What have I learned? Take chances and try not to get in your own way. Love without fear. Talk to strangers and try to learn as much as you can from them- especially older people. Different is beautiful. Wanting to be multiple places at once is a good problem. Going back to Boston with FCGS will always feel right. Life is created by who you are- what you give out is what you get back. Social media is great for staying connected but never gets you closer than arms length. Not taking risks is itself a massive risk. Home is a feeling, not a place.

For the forseeable future I'm employed at Heavenly, living in Zephyr Cove NV, doing my snow dance (and reading sustainableman.org, Keep Tahoe Blue!), teaching my body to run at altitude, working on my book. Speaking of which- this winter I'm looking for people to help me cover more ground on editing. I'd like a few people hold be accountable, perhaps implement some kind of embarrassing punishment or charity donation for falling behind and not sending monthly chapters along for review. Shoot me an email if interested.

Keep Tahoe in mind if you're planning a ski/spring/summer. It's a special place.

Holler!
-JP




3 comments:

  1. Just let me know when you want editing done. Between marathoning and the snow, I don't see myself doing a whole lot else besides sitting in front of my computer mindlessly watching hours upon hours of Law and Order: SVU so help me keep my brain fresh.

    My mom wanted me to let you know she got your coat. And I have your pants. So those are here for you whenever you come back. Or maybe we'll just bring them out with us (not a promise, though expect us sometime soon). Miss you + love you + all that good shit. Keep the posting up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your conversation with my friend Kathy helped her to get out of a nervousness about travel that had developed in the last few years. You inspired her to relax, trust, and enjoy traveling again . Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete