Friday, September 27, 2013

Places You Can Live (Also, Assorted Thoughts)

Hi People,
I realize, only now that summer is turning to fall and my bags will be packed again soon, how comfortable I've gotten in a relatively short time in San Francisco. For now I'll savor this wonderful feeling of home, then I'll be crossing my fingers that whatever works out next is even better.

In the second installment of questions asked to hosts we have "What is your favorite thing about where you live?"
Generally, East Coast answers seemed to be about the people and West Coast answers often described things you can do outside.
I'm surprised that general city perks- restaurants, museums, jobs, were never mentioned. Answers in red were genuine to the respondent but could have been from anywhere. Any guesses as to what comment goes with what place/person are welcome. From East to West we had:
-Easy place to be proud of being from. People are become somebody here, we're a city based on excellence. 
-Pizza!
-Family
-Chaos/Mayhem
-"Absolutely nothing" muttered a drunk girl at a roulette table. We (E Sullivan and I) prodded her further, "the sports teams I guess." Spoiler alert: This one was Cleveland.
-(The city as a whole has) The coolest people
-Comfortable, easy going
-Tons of outdoor public space
-Unique heritage of larger than life characters
-Antelope Canyon
-Scenery
-Sunsets and sunrises
-Community
-Close to traveling outdoors
-The sun
- Enjoying life outside, being active. The social lifestyle. 
-The beach!
-The big town with small town closeness
-The difference between day and night
-The wide spectrum of people: weird/f'd up to caring/loving

A big part of picking a place to live comes from noticing who is around. If not who then take a look at how strangers act towards each other.  How does the average person carry himself How noisy is it?
Everyone in San Diego seems really healthy and fit- which makes you want to run and stretch and floss and eat more vegetables. San Fran people make it easier to pick up a book in public, not shave for a day week month, meditate in a park. The New York I remember is full of people so focused you want to heroically climb up the ladder and be rich and famous and have a table reserved at all the trendiest restaurants.

Thinking about the identity of where you live makes it easier to try to find a meaningful answer to the big q: who are you? 
When you strip away your job and your house and your stuff and your friends and how many push ups you can do and your favorite restaurant and the books you've read and the secrets you've kept, who are you?

-In trying to answer this question, I accidently started to take responsibility for my own happiness.

-There are a bunch of things that make us who we are: the things we love (and hate), the choices we make that no one else will ever realize we made, the things we laugh at when no one is listening.

-I keep finding mini meanings but not yet that big one that doesn't take any external motivation.

-When you listen to your gut and it leads you to a weird place that's not a failure- that's practice. My life has been very strange lately and I wouldn't change a thing about it- those tough days are just practice too.

-When words won't suffice a strong enough tool to communicate, we use feelings and beauty to describe the world. When I tell you I miss you- do you know what I mean?

-There will be lots of balls that someday we wish we had started rolling earlier. What can you get started on today that you'll thank yourself later? Investing towards retirement? Working out? Learning a new language?

-If I keep typing it will be about Breaking Bad, I'll save that for next time. 

Have a good weekend. Snapchat me a picture of some leaves changing colors or something.
-JP

No comments:

Post a Comment