Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Yom Kipper (Friendships, Forgiveness, #Shantytown)

Interweb Friends,
It is midway through the Yom Kippur fast and instead of taking lunch, I have a blog break.

When you ask someone what matters most, he is likely to talk about relationships: his friends and family and mentors.  That persons unfocused life however is probably full of worry over money and obsession over materials (how nice is my car/house/how much do I get paid/how much do I weigh?) The cost of worrying about quantifiable values is that we miss out on moments that we could enjoy and even when we are hit over the head by them we fail to appreciate.

This weekend (Plymouth2012) was a reminder how crazy blessed I am to have so many friends that its difficult for us to squeeze into a house. #Shantytown
To my friends and my family: I think the world of you. If I've been frustrated or annoying or I've hurt you or let you down this year, forgive me. I wore myself out this Spring/Summer, and anything I do has been based on what I thought was best. All you can do is what feels right, especially on Yom Kippur.

Forgiveness is acceptance. To forgive another is to accept a difference: you do and say things that I don't and this can create friction but that's actually productive, not bad. At Yom Kippur you have to forgive yourself as well. We all come up short- if something's important you keep trying and find a new way to make it work.
Starting (looks down at watch) now I'm going to do one selfless act per week for you. That will be my mitzvah to earn your friendship. I'll post them in this blog as woof's (weekly offering of friendliness) to hold myself accountable.
This year will be a year of learning/exploration and I am honored that I have such great people to share that with. Speaking of which, if anyone has a charity they support or are fundraising for, now would be an excellent time to text me. I am going to make a few kharmic donations this afternoon. My $ goes to Taylor Morris if I don't hear from anyone (with a "Keep Calm, Chive On!" note, obviously)

(Audible Sigh) I'm super hungry. If you're drinking a coffee, savor the next sip for me. Think about where that coffee was grown and how it was brewed. Taste how delicious it is. Is it sundown yet?

Make the new year everything you want,
JP

PS- How good a name would Tom Kipper be for a male stripper? Not that good? Ok nevermind.

No comments:

Post a Comment