Friday, June 8, 2012

Fuel (TWID)

Did the rainy week get you down? Snap out of it- summer's coming and there's lots to look forward to.
Over Memorial day I went camping (it was most excellent.) The combination of waking up in a tent and having just caught up on Dan Adler's Blog re-instilled in me the sense that I want to be spending more time traveling, taking chances, and going on adventures. With a nature-induced clear head I was driving back to Boston and reflecting on what has been a really good Spring. In the last few months I've acheived a pace that's pretty close to how I'd ideally want to spend my free time. Unfortunately, I still want more of everything (going out, playing cards, athletic activities, writing/reading way more, time to cook and travel, some leisure) and have completely maxed out my free time. The obvious solution is to work harder at everything-which requires more energy than anyone is realistically give in every moment of an 18 waking hour day. This led me to thinking about alternative fuel sources: the nonphysical things that keep people animated or excited/vivant. Some people are fueled by being the center of attention. Other people need to blow of steam and keep their endorphins pumping. Many people just keep the kinship of friends- seeing his/her buddies once a week can keep them going. The outdoors, or the excitement of upcoming activities can create a bidge over stressful cubicle time. Masochists can be too easily pushed along with schadenfreud. A lot of people get off on money.

The WSOP just started. Last November Kev asked me if playing in the Main Event was a dream of mine (it is) and then saying I should do it. That very simple encouragement struck home enough to make me embarssed I didn't even try. It won't be this year, but 2013? Book it.
I need things that I'm looking forward to and working towards. Sometimes- even when I take notes so I can watch the progression towards something big- I still feel stuck.
This is something worth working on post-Israel: balancing immediate and long term goals. Too much short term attention- spending all your time going out with friends- is a huge leak in self control. It inhibits the ability to build towards some ultimately more fulfilling long term goal. On the other hand, too much attention on things impossibly far away cheats yourself out of the current moment that is yours. That future won't come the way you picture it. It all comes back to balance.

3 general thoughts on writing:
-I enjoy writing as an expression. Someone told me recently I should put a portfolio together to try and write professionally. Why? Sometimes I want to use as many run on sentences as it takes to suffocate the reader.
Plus I take my poems/short stories way too personally to have them rejected (#insecure) I once submitted a poem to a contest and didn't get published- it hurt. Covering a story and then being told that my vision isn't valid because it's different than what my boss had pictured? Yikes.
- I wasn't the biggest 451 fan, but RIP Ray Bradbury nonetheless. Bradbury has great nuggets of wisdom hidden in his chapters of fiction, like:
"If we listened to our intellect, we’d never have a love affair. We’d never have a friendship. We’d never go into business, because we’d be cynical. Well, that’s nonsense. You’ve got to jump off cliffs all the time and build your wings on the way down."



Context Free Book Excerpt #4:
The east facing balcony off of the living room has a row of shrubs for privacy and a small herb garden for the kitchen (just in case someone eventually learns to cook) a thatch tent-covered hammock, a glass table with wire chairs. The view due East at the budget rooms of Hilton Miami is prime for people watching. Looking to the left finds the ocean quickly, but the sightline straight to the ground reveals a desolate alley of service entrances and hotel dumpsters. Ocean-trash-ocean-trash-ocean-trash-people fucking on the balcony. The view off the north piazza is the one listed in the real estate brochures: beach, blueish water, sandbar with a hint of coral reef.
From one to the other- the walk between his balconies is egregious and showy, but from his boat Sam’s apartment is unidentifiable- a pocket in a honeycomb. Like the women heading to the glitzy clubs on Monroe, every apartment on each anonymous building shows the same balcony to the ocean. The boat doesn't care that Sam’s balcony has a built in gas grill with marble barstools. It will never know what the balcony looked like naked before it was modestly covered with a 10'x'5 exercise floor.

1 comment:

  1. You only gave two general thoughts on writing, so I'll be sitting here waiting until you chat me a third thought.

    Interesting excerpt. Anxious to read some more.

    Blog more, please.

    ReplyDelete