Thursday, April 26, 2012

On Taking Shots (and a book mini excerpt #1)

The April heat hasn't abandoned us and the bare-shoulders on the street are probably indicative that we're knocking on summer's door. There's more plastic and less styrofoam in trashcans and lining the street, which has more bikes by the week. With the amount of time the marathon took up, I had to put several projects off until the summer. Project 1 is prioritizing how I'm going to attack them. At the moment I'd rank them:
1- Writing- One night per week I'm going to post up in a cafe to write a blog and chip away at editing ze book. Let me know if you want to read the first chapter or two. I need some fresh-eyed feedback. Also I'll start putting context-free book samples in each blog post (see the bottom of this post for #1)
2- Poker- I was considering writing an entire blog about poker. That post will come at some point. A few things for now: I am shocked that in the year since Black Friday, the US hasn't been able to regulate and institute a taxable system of online poker. It's been a lot of bad news and false hope for people with money tied up on Full Tilt. The latest is that Pokerstars might be paying the Full Tilt players back. In any case, I'd have to run crazy-super-freaky hot to hit my 2012 poker goal, but I'm hoping that I can make a May run at it.
3- Exploring (metaphorically and geographically)- As an apartment, we should hit at least 75% on the Davis Sq bucket list. There are still a hand full of worthwhile daytrips from my 2011 to-do list that I want to cross off.
4- Yoga
5- Reflection and Thinking- At some point sooner rather than later I'll have to figure out what happens after the summer. The future? Gulp.
6- Guitar. I've conceded that I'll probably never be any good at playing guitar.





-----
Last week I stumbled across this article about regrets of the dying. It led me to think about self-sabotage and the appropriate amount of shot taking and risk exposure that should take up one's young life.
Being comfortable is probably a good place to be in the short term, but the life of a twenty-something(who doesn't have too much at stake) should be full of small failures. If you haven't failed at anything in the past 6 months, why not? Without constantly trying new things and sometimes coming up short, we won't evolve. It sucks to set your mind to do something and then come up short, but the process of failure is the only way to bridge the gap between who we are and who we eventually want to be. Maybe part of our resistance to new is that we don't want to lose the things we like about ourselves-but something that makes you happy is worthwhile, it isn't going anywhere.
I've made a lot of conservative choices this year rather than interesting ones. Work and money are convenient excuses, but saying "I haven't done XYZ because I'm too busy" is a thin viel over bullshit. This summer I'll do better/more.
Quick quote from a president: “We grow great by dreams. All big men are dreamers. They see things in the soft haze of a spring day or in the red fire of a long winter’s evening. Some of us let these great dreams die, but others nourish and protect them; nurse them through bad days till they bring them to the sunshine and light which comes always to those who sincerely hope that their dreams will come true.” Woodrow Wilson

Rock on. Don't make your Spring too easy.
-JP

Context Free Book Excerpt #1:

Lying across the couch, the ribbed shoulder of Heather’s red tank top is twisted. She wears a but-what-if smile like everygirl knows her life won't carry out like movie starlet’s. It wasn’t a weekend away from the city, but a night on Will’s boat nontheless belongs in the mostly vacant win column of Heather’s rapidly disappearing summer with Sam. She constantly slides a draping unfairness back to the side. It had the majority of her teenage years for this summer to turn into something that inevitably would fail. She needed to get out of New Jersey and he wanted to be the king of Atlantic City. 



1 comment:

  1. Well, lots of words to contemplate on a sleepy Thursday. Bravo on getting some book work out there. Without context, it leaves me questioning where they came from, where they're going and how they came to be. Eenteresting. Let's do some yogz together this summah. My mat is collecting dust.

    ReplyDelete